Temporary Residence



Most travelers need a visitor visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization to travel to Canada. The entry document you need depends on:

  • the type of travel document you plan to travel with

  • the country that issued your travel document

  • your nationality

  • your method of travel to Canada for this trip


Most foreign nationals need a study permit to study in Canada. We can assist you with finding the right institution for your needs, as well as applying for a study permit.

After studies, depending on the institution, you may be able to apply for a Post-graduate Work Permit to allow you to stay in Canada for longer and gain Canadian work experience.

Your spouse may be eligible to apply for an Open Work Permit in Canada while you study. As a student, you may work a maximum of 20 hours per week during studies.



Most foreign nationals need a work permit to work in Canada. 

Employer-specific work permit:

the employer who wants to hire you must complete certain steps and give you either a copy of a Labour Market Impact Assessment or an offer of employment number to include in your application.

Open Work Permit:

This type of work permit allows you to work for any employer in Canada. You can only get an open work permit in specific situations.

Super Visa

Parents or grandparents can visit their children and/or grandchildren in Canada for periods of up to 2 years at a time. This is a multi-entry visa that is issued for a period up to 10 years.

If visiting for 6 months or less, you should apply for a visitor visa instead.

Canva - Newly Graduated People Wearing B

Post-Graduate Work Permit

Students who have graduated from eligible Canadian designated learning institutions (DLIs) may apply for an open work permit to gain valuable Canadian work experience.

Usually the work permit is valid for as long as the study program duration. After gaining work experience many graduates qualify for permanent residence in Canada through the Express Entry Canadian Experience Class.

LMIA (Labour Market Impact Assessment)

An employer in Canada may need to get a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) before hiring a foreign worker.

The employer will need to demonstrate that no Canadian or permanent resident is available or qualified to do the job. Once an employer gets a positive LMIA, the worker can apply for a work permit.

Canva - Closeup Photo of Person Wearing

International Experience Class (IEC)

Certain countries have an agreement with Canada that allows applicants to apply for an IEC work permit. Certain eligibility requirements must be met.

To apply, you enter a pool of candidates and if invited to apply you have a short window in which to apply for a work permit.